What is Mystery Shopping?
Mystery shopping is a research method used by companies to evaluate the quality of their products or services from the customer’s perspective. It involves hiring mystery shoppers who act as normal customers, and visit the company’s physical store or website to make a purchase or inquire about products or services. These mystery shoppers then report their experiences back to the company, providing valuable insights and feedback.
Mystery shopping helps companies measure customer satisfaction, identify areas for improvement, and monitor the performance of their employees. It is a way for companies to understand how their customers perceive their brand and whether they are meeting customer expectations.
Mystery Shopping Companies
There are numerous mystery shopping companies that connect businesses with mystery shoppers. These companies act as intermediaries, helping businesses find suitable shoppers, coordinating assignments, and providing detailed reporting.
Some well-known mystery shopping companies include:
1. Market Force: Market Force is one of the leading mystery shopping companies, offering services worldwide. They have a large panel of mystery shoppers and cover a wide range of industries, including retail, hospitality, and healthcare.
2. Secret Shopper: Secret Shopper has been in the mystery shopping business for over 25 years. They specialize in providing customized mystery shopping solutions to meet the unique needs of each client.
3. IntelliShop: IntelliShop is known for its advanced technology platform that allows clients to access real-time data and analytics. They offer a range of mystery shopping services, including traditional in-store visits as well as online evaluations.
4. Sinclair Customer Metrics: Sinclair Customer Metrics has been in the mystery shopping industry for over 40 years. They focus on providing actionable insights and helping businesses improve customer experience.
How to Become a Mystery Shopper
If you are interested in becoming a mystery shopper, there are a few steps you need to take:
1. Research Companies: Look for reputable mystery shopping companies that have a good track record and positive reviews from shoppers.
2. Apply: Complete the application process for the chosen mystery shopping company. This may involve filling out online forms, providing personal information, and answering some screening questions.
3. Training and Certification: Some companies require mystery shoppers to undergo training and certification to ensure they have the necessary skills and knowledge.
4. Browse Assignments: Once you are accepted, you can browse available assignments and choose the ones that interest you. Assignments may vary in terms of location, timing, and compensation.
5. Complete the Assignment: Visit the assigned location or website, follow the guidelines provided by the company, and make your observations. Take detailed notes and pay attention to specific aspects you are required to evaluate.
6. Report Back: After the assignment, submit a detailed report to the company, highlighting your observations, experiences, and any issues you encountered.
Mystery shopping can be a rewarding side gig for those who enjoy shopping and want to make some extra money. It offers the opportunity to provide valuable feedback to businesses and help shape customer experiences. However, it is important to approach it professionally and ensure you are working with reputable companies.